Firstly I hope that you and your families remain safe and well as we start to see the lockdown ease and another phase of the ‘new normal’ begin . When I last updated you earlier in the month we had just had the great news we had all been waiting for with the Government and the ECB announcing that recreational cricket could restart from 11th July with adjustments to respect both hygiene and social distancing.
As you can imagine your committee didn’t waste any time in understanding and implementing the raft of guidelines and procedures imposed to enable both ‘adapted play’ and for the bar to open. To give you a sense of some of what was involved there were multiple Risk Assessments, the creation and erection of signage, an enhanced cleaning regime and the creation of sanitisation facilities plus a track and trace log for both players, officials and those spectating. So when at Willis Lane please do ensure you follow the clear guidance and social distancing requirements which are a necessity in order for us to both play cricket and keep the bar open. We have had to make some difficult decisions and compromises on some of the facilities we can and can’t offer at present (e.g. drinking inside the pavilion and use of changing facilities) driven by adherence to Health & Safety Law (Covid guidance) and I would ask for your understanding on this. Clearly we hope this won’t be forever and I will update you as things like this change.
Having set ourselves up for ‘adapted play’ Rick and Jake wasted no time in mobilising the players with our first games, involving all 3 Senior Teams, across the weekend of the 11th July. Yeovil CC were our guests and it was not only great to see a very competitive local derby played out but also the crowds of spectators who came out to watch in the lovely weather. The same can also be said of the following weekend which saw 3 competitive games against Ilminster CC, Sherborne CC and Cattistock CC. Likewise our Youth teams lead by Will Frost and Mark Payne started their games too over the last couple of weeks along with their Friday night Youth Training. It’s certainly been worth the work and the wait with so many players wanting to get their whites on and get out and play on what, thanks to Tom and John, is a fantastic playing service.
Away from Willis Lane here is an update on a few of the discussion points this month that I’d like to share to keep you all informed:-
1) Membership subscriptions – thanks again to those that have already paid. I’d again particularly like to acknowledge and thank the large number of VPs and Sponsors. Your support is greatly appreciated and has helped keep the Club going over this difficult period. For those yet to pay, a membership form and ways to pay can be found on our website.
2) Outdoor ‘all weather’ net facilities – with planning agreed and a sub committee set up we have agreed on a potential supplier/installer and are working through the final few details on funding before confirming a start date which we hope will mean it see’s some use maybe at the very back end of our extended season. A copy of the plan can be found on our website.
3) Pavilion & Grounds – the TLC on our lovely Pavilion continues and our thanks this month goes out to PH Hardwill for the work they have undertaken to replace all the broken roof tiles – it is greatly appreciated.
There are always lots of jobs that need doing at the ground to keep it looking as it does so if you have a few spare hours and want to get involved please lets us know.
4) Club Welfare Officer – I am pleased to announce that Mandy Downing has joined the committee as our Club Welfare Officer. Thank you Mandy for supporting the Club with this very important role.
5) Bar Team – it’s been great to see so many club members and parents step up to support the running of our bar for a few hours in their spare time. The income generated from the bar is extremely important to help maintain the standard of our facilities so your time here is very much appreciated. If anyone else would like to get involved then again please ask and we’ll arrange an induction session to get you up and running.
Anyway I hope you’ve found the update useful and let’s keep our fingers crossed we continue to get good weather so we can all enjoy the remainder of the season as it is.
Thanks and stay safe.
NPCC - Chairman